We enjoy being able to enrich and lengthen the lives of our beloved pets, who have become our adopted children, with modern medicine and technology. Our focus includes betterment of the quality of life of our pets through:
- Automatic lift tables for senior pets
- Pain Management
- Underwater treadmill
- Use of proven alternative therapies when practical
- Complete anasthesia monitoring (including mechanical ventilator)
- Heated surgery table
- Heated IV lines
- In-House Lab (we also send more complicated tests to specialists with 1-2 day results)
Some conditions and emergencies require immediate answers. We have a variety of sophisticated lab machines that we can use. We have the latest Complete Blood Cell Count analyzer utilizing laser technology for improved accuracy. This can tell us information about the number and types of cells in the blood. Many conditions alter these from normal.
- Tests for: Electrolytes, Blood-gas, Thyroid, Coagulation Profile
- We can also do a variety of “chemistry” panels that can tell us if some of the major organs in the body are affected by a condition
Digital Radiographs (X-Ray)
- We use state-of-the-art digital radiology in the hospital. These images can be enlarged, highlighted, and enhanced using our software. This increases the diagnostic yield many fold and can help us see things we could not see before with standard radiology.
- In addition to viewing the images we can burn them to a CD or we can transmit them to specialist radiologist for consultation and recommendation.
- You can even access your pet’s x-rays on-line from your own computer 24/7
We also offer:
- Holistic diets
- Lifestyle modification
Our Hospital Design
We are greatful to all members of our hospital construction team, who put up with our many questions and changes (all for the better of course!):
Contractor and all-around problem solvers: Rick, Fred and Joe of Johnson Building Corporation (Sterling, VA)
Hospital Designer: Corey Gale of Watson Gale (Dallas, TX – formerly of Dulles, VA)
Architect: Charles Joch III (Chantilly, VA)
Signage: Signs-A-Rama (Leesburg, VA)
Printing: Potomac Printing Solution (Ashburn, VA)
Our Uniform “Designers”
Years ago a local sewing company was used by a local vet who was getting married. Years later (we won’t say how many), Dr. Chau is happy to continue using the same stitching company based out of Herndon.
Family Veterinary Hospital welcomes all types of pets. While we love cats and dogs, we also see ferrets, guinea pigs, rabbits, birds and lizards. Our staff has personal experience in many of these exotic pets. Dr. Chau raised a 4-foot iguana named White Birch, and also had 3 birds (which she later adopted out when her kids were born due to allergies and salmonella risk).
Some may know Dr. Chau from her experience as a relief vet in the DC metro area. She worked with a well-known ferret specialist for several years in Maryland, and also substituted for an avian specialist in Virginia. Dr. Chau completed an externship with Kaytee research lab in Wisconsin where she was able to assist with research on all types of exotic birds.
We understand that not all of our family members are on 2 or 4 legs. Feel free to bring your family pet for a checkup or exam, whether they walk, crawl, scamper or fly! Or in the case of White Birch, she would jump and make daily raids on the birds’ food to then go back and bask in the warmth of her heat-lamp digesting the bounty of her ambush
- Dogs (try this fun site where you can learn more about different breeds at Discovery.com)
- Guinea Pigs